DW405 C420 - DDWC3 Locomotive Entry - Will Kling


C420 - Weathered by Will Kling - Entry Photo

Submitted by Will Kling

Starting Photo
I started out by painting the nose with Badger MP Blue because the picture showed it was all blue. Knowing I was going to do a dot fade with oils, it was what I had.

I then used the dot fade oil technique using the Oilbrusher light fading set.  Let it sit till dry.  

I then started the discoloration on the hood first did a pin wash with Tamiya panel washes with dark grey let it dry overnight. How I did the discoloration where the paint in places went down to the primer.  To do this, I used Tamiya panel liners brown, dark brown, gray, orange-brown, and figure color pink-brown. I mixed a couple of them together to get a closer shade to the picture, sealed the shell with a satin clear for the next step.   

Weathering Completed Top
The top of the hood used panel line black for the fans, exhaust, and grills first and again let it dry completely.   Then using AB thinner moisten the top of the hood and used AK asphalt Road Dirt pigments with a coarse brush and let it dry.  Then I used AK weathering pencils, used Gun Metal for the edges of the hood top of the grills and exhaust.  Did the same for the edges of the nose and cab.  Sealed that with a flat clear.  Used AK weathering pencil Rubber for all the windows. Did use some very light application of pigments over the discoloration to give it a dusty look.
Completed Entry Right Side

The fuel tank had been dot faded to start with used pigments mixed in thinner and hand brushed it on when dry used dry pigments, same one North Africa Dust after I dull coated it.

The trucks I did almost the same I first shot it with flat earth brown, then added the pigments.  

The couplers I painted with army brand leather and Vallejo light rust wash.

Photo shows completed entry including the roof

I weathered the sill and handrails and the walkway with AK pigment rubble mixed with thinner. The handrails  I had flat coated them first, and then used AK Streaking Grime for the sides and used and for chipping used AK Chipping Color using a nail salon brush.   Lastly, I shot the shell with dull coat.

Prototype Reference Photo #2
Prototype Reference Photo #1

Comments